One of my Mothers-in-law made this for us last year, and it was so good, I had to ask for the recipe. She sent it to me, but I don’t know where she got it, so from now on, it’s just called “Kay’s Black Bean Lasagna”. I left out a couple of things, like the cilantro, sweet pepper, and the tomatoes at the end. I would have added the tomato, but I didn’t have one. Try this one!
Kay’s Black Bean Lasagna
9 dried lasagna noodles (8 ounces)
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg, beaten
1 12-ounce carton cream-style cottage cheese (1 1/2 cups)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (6 ounces)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (I omitted)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can Italian-style tomato sauce
4 tsp dried cilantro, crushed (I omitted)
1 tsp ground cumin
coarsely chopped tomato (I omitted)
1. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain well. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Place lasagna noodles in a single layer on a sheet of foil; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, use a potato masher to mash half (15 ounces) of the black beans; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese; set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, sweet pepper, and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in mashed beans, the remaining whole beans, the tomato sauce, cilantro, and cumin; heat through.
4. Arrange three of the cooked lasagna boodles in prepared dish. Top with one-third (about 1 1/3 cups) of the bean mixture. Spoon half (about 1 cup) of the cheese mixture over bean mixture. Repeat layers once more, starting with noodles and ending with the cheese mixture. Top with the remaining cooked noodles and the rest of the bean mixture.
5. Bake, covered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes before serving. Top with chopped tomato.
makes 8 servings
calories per serving: 456