I hesitated to make this recipe, because of all the different ingredients! But- I made it anyway, and I am glad I did! This was SO good (although it made my house stink for the next day). Have you ever cooked with lemongrass? It’s kind of weird. But it smells really good. Daikon radish is a very strange creature, too. It’s kind of like a giant white carrot. The mayo/sesame oil mixture? That was delicious, and I could have eaten that on anything. I only put the hot sauce on Toby’s sandwich, and I omitted the cilantro and the cucumber. I served this with some chips.
Lemongrass Tofu Banh Mi
YIELD: 6 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups matchstick-cut carrot
1 1/4 cups matchstick-cut peeled daikon radish
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted)
3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
1 (12-ounce) French bread baguette, halved lengthwise and toasted
1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber (I omitted)
1. Cut tofu crosswise into 6 (2/3-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels.
2. Combine 2 tablespoons lemongrass, 2 tablespoons water, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in soy mixture, turning to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Combine vinegar and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Add carrot and radish; toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain; stir in cilantro.
4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil, mayonnaise, and Sriracha in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut bread horizontally. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly on cut sides of bread.
5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove tofu from marinade, and discard marinade. Pat tofu slices dry with paper towels. Add tofu slices to pan, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Arrange tofu slices on bottom half of bread; top tofu slices with carrot mixture and cucumber slices. Cut loaf crosswise into 6 equal pieces.
Amount per serving
Saturated fat: 1.1g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 4g