I decided it was time again for tomato soup and grilled cheeses, one of my favorite meals. This soup, from the Barefoot Contessa, got really good reviews online, so I gave it a whirl. I used only 1 red onion and thought it was still good. I think I might be fading a little on red onions. Anywho, this came together very quickly (other than the simmering on the stove for half an hour). Liam said he really liked it! That’s always a plus. I would make this one again (and maybe used canned diced tomatoes? maybe?).
Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
* 3 tablespoons good olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (2 onions)- I used 1 red onion
* 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
* 4 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (5 large)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves, plus julienned basil leaves, for garnish
* 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade- I used veggie stock
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 3/4 cup heavy cream
* Croutons, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
Add the cream to the soup and process it through a food mill into a bowl, discarding only the dry pulp that’s left. Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves and/or croutons.