I needed a side dish and I also had leftover buttermilk I had to use. So here ya go! This dish turned out to be pretty good, but I don’t know, I feel like this took a lot of work. Looking at the directions now, it doesn’t seem like there’s much to do, but I don’t think that I would make this again, even though it was ok. Whew. I do love me some panko, though, and they were really good in this dish. I served this with some Riblets and some grilled asparagus.
Tuscan Cheese Potato Bake
(Better Homes & Gardens)
* 2 lbs red potatoes
* 3 or 4 cloves garlic,minced
* 1-1/2 tsp snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 1/4 c butter
* 1 c buttermilk
* 4 oz. fontina cheese,shredded (1 c)
* 4 oz. Parmesan cheese,finely shredded (1 c )
* 1/3 c crumbled blue cheese
* 1/2 c Panko
* 1/4 tsp dried Italian seasoning
* 1 Tbs olive oil
* snipped fresh parsley(optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a 2 qt. square baking dish; set aside. Scrub potatoes; cut in 1″ pieces. In large saucepan, cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water 12 to 15 mins. or till tender; drain.
2. In 12″ skillet, cook and stir garlic and thyme in butter over med. heat 1 min; add potatoes. Coarsely mash potatoes. Stir in buttermilk, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Fold in fontina cheese, half of the parmesan and the blue cheese. Evenly spread in baking dish.
3. In small bowl, combine remaining Parmesan, panko, Italian seasoning and oil; toss with fork to combine. Evenly sprinkle over potato mixture in dish. Bake 20 mins or till bubbly and top is golden. Sprinkle with snipped parsley.