These were so easy and so good! I didn’t have any lettuce on hand, so I had to do without, but they were still good. I couldn’t find a vegetarian Havarti, so I used some Pepperjack that I had already. These would also be good without the bread!
Falafel Patty Melt
(Better Homes & Gardens, May 2010)
* 1/2 cup frozen peas
* 1 16-oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
* 1 medium carrot, shredded
* 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
* 2 Tbsp. olive oil
* 8 slices dilled Havarti cheese (4 to 6 oz.)- I used Pepperjack
* 4 flatbreads or pita bread- I used flatbreads
* Romaine leaves and sliced tomato (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place peas in 1-quart microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on 100 percent power (high) for 2 minutes. In food processor bowl or with an immersion blender, puree garbanzo beans, carrot, flour, 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in peas. Form mixture into 8 patties.
2. Heat remaining oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.
3. Meanwhile, place flatbreads on baking sheet. Place two slices of cheese atop each flatbread. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Place 2 patties on each flatbread; fold over. Cut in halves and serve with romaine and tomato. Makes 4 servings.
calories per serving: 508