I really thought this dish would be better than it was. It was edible, but it didn’t have a lot of flavor. And if you didn’t get a forkful of cheese, it had no flavor. I hate when I spend a lot of time on a dish and it doesn’t turn out well! Very disappointing.
Baked Pasta with Summer Veggies
(Parenting, July 2009)
Prep: 10 min
Total time: 60 min
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely shopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. ziti or penne pasta
1 cup ricotta, Part-skim
1/4 cup Parmesan, Grated Cheese, plus 1/2 cup
pinch of nutmeg
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped,
1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425. Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Place a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat.
2. Toss onion, garlic, red pepper, and zucchini in a large bowl with olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. While veggies are roasting, add pasta to the water and boil about 2 minutes short of package directions (it should still be slightly firm). Drain.
4. In a large bowl, mix the ricotta and 1/4 cup parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss pasta with the ricotta mixture, veggies, tomatoes, oregano, and mozzarella. Pour mixture into baking dish.
5. Sprinkle top with remaining parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
per serving: 536 calories