This recipe grabbed my attention because it uses wonton wrappers in place of lasagna noodles! On a side note, I can’t seem to find a smaller package of wonton wrappers- the one I buy has 60 wrappers! And they don’t save well, so I have to throw away the rest! I hate that. So- the recipe. I like red peppers, but not THIS much. Their taste, plus the pesto, was really overpowering. I did like the wonton wrappers, though. I doubt I will make this again.
(Health, March 2011)
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 22 minutes; Total time: 32 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
4 tablespoons pesto, divided
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 (5-ounce) box baby spinach
18 wonton wrappers (1 package)
1 (8-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 2 tablespoons pesto, and egg white; stir well.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon water in a medium skillet over medium heat; cook spinach until wilted (about 2 minutes), stirring well.
4. Spread remaining 2 tablespoons pesto in an 8-inch square baking dish; top with 6 wontons, overlapping slightly. Layer half of ricotta mixture evenly over top of wontons; add half of peppers over ricotta mixture.
5. Top peppers with another 6 wontons, remaining ricotta mixture, half of spinach, and remaining peppers. Top peppers with remaining 6 wontons and spinach. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan; cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake lasagna, in middle of oven, until cheese is melted and bubbly (about 20 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 6 equal-size pieces.
per serving: 261 calories