Every year for Thanksgiving, we travel 3 hours down to Raleigh, NC to visit one set of my in-laws. I am always given the task of bringing one of two desserts (Toby’s stepsister brings the other one). Let me preface this by saying that I am not a baker. I seem to have more luck with cooking, so I will consider myself a cook, NOT a baker. I’ve attempted pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and various fall-like sweets, but nothing has ever wowed anyone (or myself). So, for this year’s run I decided to ask my friends and family on Facebook if they had a foolproof dessert that met these criteria: 1. it has to travel well, 2. it has to be easy to make, and 3. it has to be really good. I received several responses, but my step-sister Cham was the first one to actually send me a recipe. I performed a test run of this cake last week and let me tell you it. was. wonderful. And easy! I had some misgivings about it at first. The batter was super runny and oily. I thought, no way this is going to turn out. But it did. And my house smelled wonderful. The cake had a nice crunch when you bit into it, but the inside was so moist and flavorful. I told Cham that this was probably the best cake I had ever made (I’ve only made a couple, but so what). I will make this for Thanksgiving and travel with it, and who knows, I just might make one BEFORE Thanksgiving. Good cake. GOOOOOD CAKE.
rating: 10 (yep)
Cham’s Apple Cake
3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1. Mix apples, 1/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
2. To make batter, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients into the mixture a little bit at a time.
3. Spoon 1/3 of the batter into a greased and floured 10″ tube pan. Top with half of the apple filling. Repeat layering, ending with batter on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour 15 min. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.
5. Shake pan to loosen. Remove cake and let it cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.