I thought this soup was pretty good. I think Toby liked it, until I told him that two of his least favorite foods were in there (carrots and sweet potatoes). This soup took me about an hour or so to make. You just have to taste along the way, and make sure everything is cooking (especially the lentils!). I did add another 2 cups of veggie broth near the end. This soup is vegan and seems really healthy. I can’t wait to eat it for lunch!
Lentil Sweet Potato Apple Soup
time needed: about an hour
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, diced
½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. paprika
2 lg. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
1 apple (Gala or similar), peeled and chopped
½ c. lentils, rinsed
4 c. vegetable broth or water (I used veggie broth)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil and add the onions. Cook for several minutes until soft.
2. Add the spices as well as the vegetables, apples, and lentils.
3. Stir thoroughly.
4. Add the broth and stir again.
5. Bring to a boil and then a steady simmer.
6. Cook, covered, until the vegetables and lentils are soft.
7. Puree with an immersion blender.
8. Season to taste.
9. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt.