Ugh. This was gross. And that’s all I have to say about that.
Home-Style Green Bean Casserole
(Southern Living, Nov. 2011)
hands-on time: 25 min.
total time: 55 min.
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk (I used Silk Plain Lite)
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 tablespoon Ranch dressing mix
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon butter
1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup French fried onions, crushed
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover in a Dutch oven 4 to 6 minutes or to desired degree of doneness; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and whisk in buttermilk and next 4 ingredients.
3. Melt 1 tsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and sauté 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Gently toss mushrooms and green beans in buttermilk sauce. Place in a 13- x 9-inch or 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Combine French fried onions and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over green bean mixture.
5. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
per serving: 168 calories