This is basically a quiche, with a cheesy crust. It was good (that crust makes it!), but I think I used a little too much broccoli and mushrooms, because it took forever to cook at the way through. My son, who hates mushrooms, thought this was great! I did have to make twice as much for the crust, though, to get it to cover the pie plate. PS: that’s an extra large mushroom on top.
Broccoli Cheese Pie
time needed: 1 hour
1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Bring about 1 inch water to a boil in a pot. Place the chopped broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 5 minutes, or until tender but firm.
3. In a bowl, mix the Cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mustard. Mix in 1/4 cup butter until evenly moist. Press into the bottom and sides of an 8 inch pie dish.
4. Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and mushrooms until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, half and half, 1 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Mix in steamed broccoli. Gradually stir in eggs. Transfer to the pie crust.
5. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and continue baking 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.