I sure do love me some zucchini cakes. I have made lots of different kinds here, and although these are not my favorite ones I have made, they are still good. What sets these apart is the feta and the quinoa! The quinoa gives them a little crunch! My husband hates nuts in his food, but had no idea there were walnuts in this. My 7 year old liked this recipe, although my 3 year old did not. I didn’t love the cucumber-yogurt sauce, but I am not a big fan of cucumbers. These cakes held together really well (surprisingly). I would make these again, but make a different sauce!
Zucchini, Walnut, and Feta Cakes with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
(Cooking Light, May 2014)
time needed: 25 min.
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
4 1/2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 (6-ounce) container plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups mixed salad greens (about 2 ounces)
1. Place quinoa in a mini food processor; process 1 minute or until finely ground. Add chopped walnuts to processor; process until smooth.
2. Place zucchini in a colander, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss well. Let stand 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Press zucchini between paper towels until barely moist.
3. Combine zucchini, green onions, dill, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheese, and eggs in a large bowl; stir to combine. Sprinkle quinoa mixture over zucchini mixture; stir well to combine.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 (1/3-cup) zucchini batter mounds to pan; flatten into 3-inch cakes. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and batter to yield 8 cakes total.
5. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, yogurt, cucumber, and garlic in a small bowl. Divide greens evenly among 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 cakes and about 1/4 cup cucumber mixture. Serve immediately.