Boy, this recipe was a disaster! After making this dish 4 hours before dinner, it all came to a screeching halt when I opened the oven (after 5 minutes!). You can tell by the photo that things did not go as planned! I don’t know why they totally melted into one big cheese stick, but I still scraped them off and we ate them. They did taste good! Not sure why this was such an epic fail.
Crunchy Baked Mozzarella Sticks
(Parents, Sept. 2010)
makes 4 servings
time needed: 4 hours, 5 min.
2 tsp water
1/2 cup panko
1 tsp Italian seasoning
shake of pepper
4 pieces mozzarella string cheese
1 tbsp flour
1. In a small bowl, beat egg and water.
2. Place panko, Italian seasoning, and pepper in separate dishes.
3. Coat cheese sticks in flour, then dip in egg mixture and the 3 bowls.
4. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
5. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake, uncovered, at 450 degrees F for 5 minutes, until warm, then run under the broiler quickly to brown.
6. Cool before serving.