I never got to try a carbonara pasta before I went vegetarian. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and figured I could try it but leave out the pancetta. And I am so glad I tried this, because this. was. awesome! Toby said it was one of his favorite meals EVER. There’s not a whole lot to this dish, so I was worried that it wouldn’t have much flavor, especially since I was leaving out the meat, but it was SO flavorful! Those mushrooms and cauliflower really added a lot of flavor and texture. I still pan-fried the garlic in the oil. I did everything according to the recipe, minus the pancetta. This one is a keeper!
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 40 minutes, Total Time: 50 minutes
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
4 ounces pancetta, diced or 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces- I omitted
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
salt to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1. Toss the cauliflower and mushrooms in the oil, salt and
pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a
preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30
minutes, mixing half way through.
2. Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
3. Cook the pancetta in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the
grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn
off the heat.
4. Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
5. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
6. Mix the pasta, egg mixture, cauliflower and mushrooms into the
pan with the pancetta, adding reserved pasta water as needed.