Although these tiny little “burgers” are REALLY good, they are very delicate, and several of mine just fell apart. The combination of the lentil mix, arugula, blue cheese, and onion jam? AWESOME! Don’t skip that red onion jam…I think that is what takes this dish to another level! If only the burgers had stayed together better, this dish would have been perfect. Will definitely make this one again!
Veggie Sliders with Red Onion Jam
(Coastal Living, June 2014)
1/2 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 large shallots, finely chopped
5 ounces fresh baby spinach
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or walnut pieces, finely chopped
Red Onion Jam
6 small crusty rolls, split and toasted
6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1 1/2 cups baby arugula or micro arugula
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer 28 minutes or until lentils are softened and liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl; mash with a potato masher.
2. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and sauté 5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and next 3 ingredients; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.
3. Stir together lentil mixture, spinach mixture, breadcrumbs, and pine nuts until well combined. Cover and chill 1 hour.
4. Press mixture into 6 patties. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté burgers 2 minutes on each side or until well browned.
5. Spoon about 3 tablespoons Red Onion Jam onto roll bottoms. Top with burgers, blue cheese, arugula, and bun tops.
Red Onion Jam
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large red onions, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sugar, and salt; sauté 25 minutes or until onions are softened and lightly caramelized.
2. Stir in vinegar; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Let cool before serving.