Here’s some MORE enchiladas for you! I made my own enchilada sauce! And it was good! For this recipe, I used Quorn Naked Cutlets in place of the chicken. I pan-fried them in some cooking spray until they were lightly brown, then let them cool. Then I just diced them up and proceeded with the recipe. I left out the green chilies, since I didn’t want any HINT of spiciness in the dish. I also put about 3/4 of the amount of chili powder called for in the sauce. These ended up being REALLY good! I added some sliced avocado to mine at the end, and that creaminess really complimented it.
Chicken Enchiladas and Enchilada Sauce
3 C shredded rotisserie chicken – I used Quorn Naked Cutlets
3 C shredded cheddar cheese or a combination of cheddar and jack cheese
2-3 C enchilada sauce (canned or homemade)
1 can chopped green chiles, drained- I omitted
⅓ C chopped fresh cilantro
12 soft corn tortillas
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ onion, minced
3 Tbsp chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
½ C water
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the chicken with 2 cups of the cheese and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce, chilies and cilantro.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Soften the tortillas in the microwave by placing them on a paper towel covered plate and then plastic wrap on
5. Microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes, depending on how many tortillas you are softening at once.
6. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
7. Fill each tortilla with about ¼1/3 cup of chicken mixture and roll up, placing seam side down into the pan.
8. Pour 1 cup of enchilada sauce over the top and the remaining cheese.
9. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
10. Remove foil and bake for about 5 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and begins to brown. May serve with
additional sauce if desired.
1. Heat oil in skillet.
2. Add in onion and salt and cook until onions are softened. About 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the chili powder, garlic, cumin and sugar.
4. Cook for another 10 minutes or until it smells really good.
5. Add in tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. About 5 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.